Day 29- In this past month, what have you learned
That’s a loaded topic. But I’ll give it a shot in numbered format.
1. To Relax – The Europeans have this down to a science. I was never able to really sit outside and enjoy it. I always had to make sure I had water, sunscreen, towels, a book, music and other such distractions. Now, I throw on my sun screen and just sit there. Taking in the silence and the fact that I don’t have to do ANYTHING for that moment.
2. Stop Stressing – It’s no laughing matter that every time I vacuum and mop the floors, which takes me a good 2 hours, it’s dirty within 5 minutes again. This happens with a dog who sheds and loves to play outside. I used to tell Harley and Toblerone that if they didn’t fly through the house then I would have their heads. One little crumb, hair, or spec of dirt used to boil my blood. Now, I’ve learned that there isn’t so much I can do about it. Just have to keep to a cleaning schedule and let it be.
3. Be Patient – It was never my virtue however after these past 30 days I had hospital duty and care-taker duty, and dog-sitting duty, among all the other things I do. So, I was taking it day by day and trying to help Toblerone heal as quickly as possible (so he could get back to doing some chores…ha, jk!) but patiently. I didn’t get upset easily when I had to take the dog out in pouring rain 8,000 times that day as I felt a cold coming on. I didn’t get upset that every time I went to sit down, I needed to get something else situated. So for 30 days, I’ve been exhausted beyond recognition. But patience served me well and now I have some moments to relax and Toblerone is back on his feet and helping out here and there as much as he can. It’s great!
4. Just Do It – Whenever Harley is around Toblerone’s parents…if he needs to go out, his Opi comes right to the rescue. He gets right up without thinking and takes Harley outside. He doesn’t get upset, doesn’t say, “Yeah maybe later.” He just does it. So, before I used to be too caught up with everything else and the thought of having to take the dog out was difficult for me. Then I realized. It’s not that big of a deal, it just needs to be done! So, I made a game out of it and would watch to see how far we could walk and count the steps. I started to lose weight from this and realized that not only was I just doing what I needed to do, I was doing something for me too!
5. Family Ties – I learned that not only is my family far away, I feel like they are with me every step of the way. When Toblerone was in surgery I must have emailed my mom a million times just updating. Even though on her side of the world, she wasn’t awake yet, I just felt a sense of calm when I would hit the “Send” button. Eventually I would get an email back and it was with overwhelming delight that I would almost hear the words she wrote as if she was saying them right next to me. The homesickness I feel sometimes isn’t too intense, nothing I can’t handle. I think once in this type of situation, you learn that it isn’t easy but your family doesn’t change. Your life may have been uprooted and twisted 180 degrees but your family remains the same. Crazy and there for you no matter what the circumstance. This is exactly the type of family I want to raise as well.
UPDATE TIME: So my birthday was pretty great! Minus the SLIGHT problem with the “condensed milk” portion of my recipe for my cheesecake! That was almost a disaster. Toblerone told me I was having a party at our house but didn’t tell me who would be coming. He only invited a few which was good. It was hectic! And so so so very hot! 86 and humid. Did I mention that these people don’t have air conditioning???? We had one dinky fan trying to cool us all down. I was still sweating as I went to bed!
Anywho, I had a great time and was so happy to have some people over to eat my chocolate chip cheesecake! Recipe will be up soon! 🙂 We played loads of foosball table games and unfortunately the jacuzzi isn’t up and running just yet. Some electrical stuff needs to be properly set up.
On Facebook I had so many “Happy Birthday” comments. I told myself I would reply to ALL of them. That was crazy. This morning I was still replying back! I would still love more subscribers (as my birthday wish of course) so please subscribe in the upper left hand side under “Sweet Tooth”!! THANKS!!!
Today is a cleaning up day, landscapers are still here and should be done this week! I can’t WAIT to show you people. ANNNNDDDDD….I have GRASS!!!! It’s slowly growing but it’s there! Yesterday Harley went outside and smelled around in his new “pee place” and just laid down. Splat! It’s still mud but the little grass that was there was nice and cool for him. So sweet! Anywho, thanks for reading! Last day of this blog challenge TOMORROW! We’ve made it!!! This post happens to be my 100th post! Whoa….I need to get a life, right?
Until next time, Readers!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo